5. ) Chapter 4: Design DEVELOPMENT AND RATIONALE.
Aim to fade out the negative intensions sing the PEP trade name because of their low-cost monetary values. PEP makes their market, which is lower and in-between category people feel lower and in-between category alternatively of doing their clients be trade name proud. Make PEP a more “African” trade name, seeing that it has been around since the 1950s, and has evolved with Africa. The purpose is to showcase through design that Pep has a strong foundation in the retail market. Through utilizing the most stable geometric form, which is the trigon I strive to stand for Pep visually as a strong trade name, and besides exemplifying that the lone way Pep has to travel, which is up.
- Rebrand the PEP image so that thelowerandcentercategory can experienceupper-class. And that it is besides more true to Africa, seeing that it is Africa’s biggest retail merchant.
- Show through the stigmatization methods that Pep is already a dependable and stable trade name, and that they can pull more clients than they already have.
- Rebrand to widen client base, every bit good as to do bing clients proud the be portion of the whole PEP experience.
- Rebrand to do clients non merely experience good towards the trade name but besides to guarantee that they live withself-respectandpride,which harmonizing to PEPs mission statement “PEP’s clients are singular people who, on areally little budget, do it possible for their households to populate withself-respectandpride” strive to make.
- Communicate in a cosmopolitan mode so that there is every bit small possible of a linguistic communication barrier as to their subdivisions and flow in shop ( Home, Clothing, Cellular etc )
- Illustrate the on-going adaptability and transmutation which is necessary to showcase a strong trade name.
- Place- PEP is thebiggestsingle trade name retail merchant in Africa.
- Age- applicable for all ages. Aged 13 and up.
- Gender- Male and Female
- Income Class- Lower to middle category
- vestureandfootwear, PEP sellshomeware, FMCG ( Fast-moving consumer goods ) ,cellularand airtime merchandises
- PEP is thebiggestindividual trade name retail merchant in Africa
- PEP aims to assist its clients toexpressionand experiencegood
- PEP operates alay-byesystem to assist clients be after their purchases
- PEP’s clients are singular people who, on areally little budget, do it possible for their households to populate withself-respectandpride
- PEP owns a vesture mill in Cape Town that manufactures most of its school wear.
Adolescents: Young people don’t experience good when they have to have on PEP vesture. At a certain age childs become trade name witting, therefore have oning low-cost vesture because it suits their parent’s pockets becomes a job for them because they feel they have a certain “image” to keep.
Childs: Parents buy their younger kids more low-cost vesture because kids are still turning, therefore purchasing expensive vesture for their kids seems irrelevant because they will outgrow it in a affair of a few months.
Adults: Adults purchase PEP merchandises because of its affordability, non because of the trade name. Through doing PEP a more up-to-date and alone trade name people would speak and portion their experience, therefore doing them trade name proud.
- Rebrand PEP retail shop with applicable design elements
- Communicate in a cosmopolitan mode so that there is every bit small possible of a linguistic communication barrier, and bind Africans in the best shopping experience on a budget
- Shop interior infinite and flow
- Shop accoutrements display bases
- Make a picture to advance the new trade name that conveys who PEP is and what they do
- Make a Television advert to advance specials with respects to the new expression and feel of the trade name.
- Updated web site
- Brand axial rotation out
LOOK AND FEEL
The thought for the rebrand expression and feel is to sit on the thought that PEP is the biggest retail merchant in Africa. The chief design component will be the trigon. The trigon will function to give more substance to the trade name, through in some signifier and mode demoing that the trigon can be used to build different forms my chief end is to exemplify that the Pep trade name is turning, transforming and spread outing. In the rebranding procedure I will besides seek and integrate appropriate imagination to better the manner happening in the shop. The overall purpose is to guarantee that people enjoy the shopping experience.
5.1 ) Pep
Let’s have a expression at a well-known trade name before we discuss the rebranding processes harmonizing to Dr. John Kotter and David Aaker. Pep is South Africa ‘s best known concatenation of retail shops. They offer a assortment of lasting household vesture, footwear, household goods and cellular merchandises to Africans from all walks of life with a peculiar focal point on the really hapless. The company employs 9000 people, and had a turnover of R2.2 billion and an operating net income of R118 million in the financial twelvemonth stoping June 2000. The trade name that started in early 1950 created a new shop experience for today’s modern South Africa. The shop was the first white tally constitution to provide to the black civilization, it allowed black clients to see and touch merchandises before they purchased them. He besides created dressing suites that would be used by both black and white civilizations. Thus Pep is a taking trade name in alteration, and is a really of import trade name in the South African civilization, that bridged diverseness manner before the apartheid epoch ended.
The name Pep is used because it is easy to retrieve and it is easy marked and read in all South African linguistic communications. Pep means energy, gusto and energy. After Africa’s foremost democratic election in 1994 Pep had already dominated the inexpensive retail trade name, and they had already catered to all civilizations in South Africa. But Pep had become complacent in its in-between age and was unprepared for all the alterations that came with the democracy. Pep’s mark audience was lost, they were no longer interested in inexpensive retail vesture, alternatively now they focused on voguish bars, recognition cards, place loans etc. Thus Pep had to get down making some serious trade name direction.
In 1998 Andre Labuschaigne was the new pull offing manager of Pep. Harmonizing to Labuschaigne “ If you tell your people where to travel, but non how to acquire at that place, you will be amazed at the consequences, ” He was appointed to do the alterations necessary with respects to the Pep trade name and besides to demoralised staff who had watched the company diminution for half a decennary.
So how did they pull off to acquire Pep back in the market and forestall the downwards spiral that ginger was heading towards truly fast?
Not through undergoing a rebrand but instead through:
- Motivating the staff through legion communicating media: face to confront meetings, workshops, electronic mail, picture, conferences, monthly information Sessionss, newssheets and regional and national conventions.
- Sikhula Kun Ye ( we are turning together ) it the slogan he used that would pervade every facet of Pep civilization.
- The staff was encouraged to recognize each other with a customary “ high five. ”
- New uniforms were issued.
- Pep besides embarked on a retraining plan and staff members who made a difference in gross revenues and morale were called Dynamos.
Labuschaigne said: “ By affecting all our people in explicating our vision, mission and value system, we got a batch of people on board and they helped to make the alteration. All future plans stem from Sikhula Kun Ye. ” He says that the key to trade name direction is to “ place strengths and true values, involve people, shape a dream for them and unrelentingly stick to this dream by making everything, every twenty-four hours to accomplish merely that. ”
A few of import facets the Pep trade name drives on is that they are strong a subscriber to black authorization, they sell reasonability priced vesture, they are Africa’s biggest retail merchant, and that they have breached a spread in the market before it was even identified.
5.2 ) Consumer Behaviour
It is of import to hold a expression at consumer behavior when sing a rebrand. There are a batch of aspects when it comes to the term consumer behavior, but we are traveling to concentrate on the more relatable classs that have connexion to non merely rebranding but with the two trade names, Cell C and Lion Lager, we are discoursing.
5.2.1 ) Self and the self-image
Consumers have a assortment of digesting images of themselves. These images or perceptual experiences of ego are really closely associated with personality in that persons tend to tie in themselves with a trade name whose images or trade name personality relates in some meaningful manner to their ain self-image. In kernel, consumers seek to picture themselves in their trade name picks ; they tend to near trade names with imagination that can heighten their self-concept and avoid those that do non. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 172 )
Therefore with respects to the rebranding of Cell C and Lion Lager, they had to inquire themselves non merely what the trade names image presently is and what they want the trade name image to be, but what they want the consumers to see when doing usage of their merchandises and service, and what type of people they want to pull. This so links up to your first initial stairss of branding with your companies market cleavage. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 172 )
5.2.2 ) Perceptual deformation
Persons are capable to a figure of influences that tend to falsify their perceptual experiences.
- Physical visual aspect:Peoples tend to impute the qualities they associate with certain people to other who may resemble them, whether or non they consciously recognize the similarity. For this ground, the choice of theoretical accounts for print advertizements and for telecasting commercials can be a cardinal component in their ultimate strength. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 173 )
- Stereotypes:Persons tend to transport images in their heads of the significance of assorted stimulations. These stereotypes serves as outlooks of what specific state of affairss, people or events will be like, and they are of import determiners of how such stimulations are later perceived. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 173 )
- First feelings:First feelings tend to be enduring ; yet in organizing such feelings the percipient does non yet cognize which stimulations are relevant, of import, or predictive of subsequently behavior. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 173 )
- Jumping to decisions:Many people tend to leap to decisions before analyzing all the relevant grounds. The consumer may hear merely the beginning of a commercial message and draw decisions sing the merchandise or services a certain trade name provides. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 173 )
- Halo consequence:Historically the aura consequence has been used to depict state of affairss in which the rating of a individual object or individual on a battalion of dimensions is based on the rating of merely one or a few dimensions. Consumer behaviourists broaden the impression of the aura consequence to include the rating of multiple objects on the footing of rating of merely one dimension. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 173 )
5.2.3 ) How consumers handle hazard
Consumers characteristically develop their ain schemes for cut downing perceived hazard. These risk-reduction schemes enable them to move with increased assurance when doing merchandise determinations, even though the effects of such determinations remain slightly unsure. Some of the more common risk-reduction schemes are discussed in the undermentioned subdivisions. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 174 )
220.127.116.11 ) Consumers seek information:Consumers seek information about the merchandise and merchandise class through word of oral cavity communicating, from sales representatives, and from the general media. They spend more clip believing about their picks and hunt for more information about the merchandise options when they associate a high grade of hazard with the purchase. This scheme is straightforward and logical because the more information the consumer has about the merchandise and the merchandise class the more predictable the likely effects and therefore, the lower the perceived hazard. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 174 )
18.104.22.168 ) Consumers are trade name loyal:Consumers avoid hazard by staying loyal to a trade name with which they have been satisfied alternatively of buying new of unseasoned trade names. Bad percipients, for illustration, are more likely to be loyal to their old trade names and less likely to buy freshly introduced merchandises. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 174 )
22.214.171.124 ) Consumers select by trade name image:When consumers have had no experience with a merchandise, they7 tend to swear a favoured or well-known trade name name. Consumers frequently think well-known trade names are better and are deserving purchasing for the implied confidence of quality, dependableness, public presentation, and service. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 174 )
126.96.36.199 ) Consumers rely on shop image:If consumers have no other information about a merchandise, they frequently trust the opinion of the ware purchasers of a reputable shop and depend on them to hold made careful determinations in selecting merchandises for resale. Store image besides imparts the deduction of merchandises proving and the confidence of service, return privileges, and accommodations in instance of in instance of dissatisfaction. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 175 )
188.8.131.52 ) Consumers buy the most expensive theoretical account:When in uncertainty, consumers frequently feel that the most expensive theoretical account is likely the best in footings of quality that is they equate monetary value with quality. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 175 )
184.108.40.206 ) Consumers seek reassurance:Consumers who are unsure about the wisdom of a merchandise pick seek reassurance through money-back warrants, authorities and private research lab trial consequences, guarantees and pre-purchased trails. ( Consumer Behaviour ; Leon G. Schiffman, Leslie Lazar Kanuk, pg. 175 )
6. ) Decision.
After analyzing David Aaker’s Brand equity theoretical account, every bit good as Dr John Kotters 8-Step Process for Leading Change it is clear why the trade names discussed succeeded and failed.
6.1 ) Cell C.
Throughout the rebranding procedure they kept their vision penetration, which is a really of import constituent of non merely any rebranding attempt but besides the trade name individuality in general. This can be gathered throughDr John Kotters 8-Step Process for Leading Change Developing a alteration visionas mentioned earlierMore than frequently the vision is portion of the bigger image which includes schemes, programs and budgets, therefore a vision in a rebranding procedure is quintessentially of import. A good vision can demand forfeits in order to make a better hereafter for all of the enterprise’s stakeholders. The brand/re trade name vision must be seen as strategically executable. To be effectual, a vision must take into history the current worlds of the endeavor, but besides set forth ends that are genuinely ambitious. A vision must supply existent counsel. It must be focused, flexible and easy to pass on. It must both animate action and usher that action.
If you have a expression at theclient analysisit is outstanding that when Cell C underwent a rebrand their vision and mission most changed for the company. The new corporate individuality, harmonizing to Cell C CEO, Lars P Reichelt, reflects the company’s vision of understanding its customers’ manner of life and orienting solutions around them to heighten life styles and better supports.
They besides took into consideration the current clients, and aimed non to do them experience excluded. This is because they complied with David Aaker’s trade name equity theoretical account which is the trade name trueness aspect of the theoretical account ;The grade to which people are devoted to the trade name is expressed in the resulting factors.Reichelt said to guarantee that the alterations are in line with what clients want, Cell C partnered with comedian, Trevor Noah, to be ‘the company’s eyes and ears ‘
Even though ± 50 % of the populace( harmonizing to the study conducted )still retrieve the old Cell C stigmatization, they still favour the new stigmatization and they still feel strong fondness towards the trade name. This all is because of the trade name axial rotation out and how they approached the whole procedure, therefore doing the Cell C rebranding attempts a good illustration of successful stigmatization.
6.2 ) Lion Lager
Today, if you try and conduct research on the rebrand of the merchandise line extension which is Lion Lager, your consequences are really limited. You’ll be lucky if you are able to Find 2 images of the rhenium trade name applied to the bottles online. Where to happen illustration of the old stigmatization is much easier. This is clearly the consequence of the atrocious failure they had with their rebranding attempt, and they would instead people merely bury about their attempts. So why were they unsuccessful? They attempted to alter the colors of the trade name that is more than 114 old ages old, therefore doing the trade name distant and unrecognisable to already loyal clients. They did this to appeal to a younger market
They clearly lost their vision of the trade name, there by unpluging die difficult Lion Larger fans, and yet still non appealing to the younger market. They lost path of the trade name individuality. They did non see the trade name promise, the planning, the executing, the trade name aesthetics or the client trueness. They merely did non win in any possible manner, therefore doing Lion Lager the perfect illustration of what non to make when sing a rebrand.