Human pappilomavirusus ( HPV ) infection is an sexual familial disease, which can take to cervical malignant neoplastic disease in adult females ( Koutsky et al. , 2002 ) . Most septic individuals with HPV will non hold any symptoms and extinguish the virus on their ain. Infection with HPV is really common, in the United States 20 million adult females are presently infected with HPV and every twelvemonth 6,2 million new instances are diagnosed. Sexual active individual have even 75 to 80 per centum alteration to acquire a HPV infection at some point in their life ( Weaver, 2006 ) .
There are about 100 types of HPV identified, 40 types can infect the venereal mucous membrane through sexual transmittal and 16 types are extremely carcinogenic ( Pagliusi and Teresa Aguado, 2004 ) . Cervical malignant neoplastic disease is largely related to the HPV type 16 and 18, which are together responsible for 70 per centum of the cervical malignant neoplastic diseases. In 60 per centum of the cervical malignant neoplastic diseases the individual is infected with HPV type 16 and in 10 per centum of the instances HPV type 18 is responsible for the malignant neoplastic disease. Other HPV types that play a of import function in developing cervical malignant neoplastic disease are HPV types 31, 33, 35, 45, 52 and 58, which are together responsible for another 18 per centum ( Pagliusi and Teresa Aguado, 2004 ) .
Cervical malignant neoplastic disease is after chest malignant neoplastic disease, the 2nd common malignant neoplastic disease of adult females worldwide ( Pagliusi and Teresa Aguado, 2004 ) . There are 470 000 new instances and 230 000 deceases every twelvemonth as the consequence of cervical malignant neoplastic disease worldwide ( Harper et al. , 2004 ) . HPV infects keratinocytes at the basal epithelial bed of the squamous epithelial tissue through micro-abrasions in the tegument or mucous membrane. ( Carrillo-Infante et al. , 2007 ) . It integrates indiscriminately into the host genome and encodes for both non-structural viral regulative proteins ( E1, E2, E4, E5, E6 and E7 ) from the early part of the viral genome and structural viral mirid bug proteins ( L1 and L2 ) from the late part. The DNA integrating leads to a omission of the E2 part, ensuing in activation of the E6 and E7 booster. After viral DNA reproduction, in which 50 to 100 transcripts of the virus are produced, merely the cistrons in the early part are transcribed. E6 inactivates the tumour suppressers p53 and retinoblastoma suppresser protein ( Rb ) , taking to a increased cell growing and the inability of programmed cell death, which causes an accretion of mutants ( Carrillo-Infante et al. , 2007 ) . The enhance cell growing and the absent of programmed cell death can take to histological alterations of the cervical squamous epithelial tissue. Cervical intraepithelialneoplasia ( CIN ) is a histologic abnormalcy of the cervicalsquamous epithelial tissue andis assumed to be a precursor of cervical cancer.CIN is classified into three classs. The CIN grade 1 ( CIN1 ) is amild dysplasia with unnatural cells in the lowest beds of the cervical epithelial tissue and is the most benign class of the three classs. In 70 to 90 per centum of a CIN 1 phase, the lesions regressed spontaneously. In CIN grade 2 ( CIN2 ) the dysplasia is moderate with unnatural cells present in the lower two tierces of the epithelial bed. A CIN 2 phase leads in 57 per centum of the instances to invasive malignant neoplastic disease. CIN grade 3 ( CIN3 ) is characterized by a terrible dysplasia, with unnatural cells in the entire bed, or about in the entire bed, of the cervicalepithelium. 70 Percentage of the individuals with a CIN 3 phase develop invasive malignant neoplastic disease ( Kahn, 2009 ) .
Nowadays there is al batch of involvement in protecting adult females against cervical malignant neoplastic disease utilizing a HPV vaccinum. Many states have already started a HPV inoculation run. The HPV vaccinum which is used against the most common HPV types 16 and 18 is based on L1 virus-like atoms and have shown promising consequences in protecting against HPV 16/18 infection and the development of lesions after HPV infection. Many surveies showed a positive consequence, particularly if inoculation occurs at a immature age, on the bar against cervical malignant neoplastic disease. Harper et Al. showed a vaccinum efficaciousness of 91,6 per centum against incident infection and 100 per centum against relentless infection with HPV type 16 and type 18. In the intention-to-treat analyses, vaccinum efficaciousness was 95,1 per centum against relentless cervical infection with HPV 16/18 and 92,9 per centum against cytological abnormalcies associated with HPV 16/18 infection ( Harper et al. , 2004 ) . Another survey showed a vaccinum efficaciousness of 90,4 per centum against CIN2+ incorporating HPV 16/18 DNA ( Paavonen et al. , 2007 ) . Both Harper and Paavonen showed the HPV 16/18 vaccinum is safe. A survey of Harper et al. , which is published 2 old ages subsequently, besides tested the efficaciousness and safety of the vaccinum, at this clip for a period of 4,5 old ages. This survey suggest the vaccinum is effectual and safe utilizing for a longer period, at least for 4,5 old ages ( Harper et al. , 2006 ) .
The last published article of Paavonen et Al. besides showed, harmonizing to many surveies, a forestalling consequence of the HPV16/18 vaccinum against cervical malignant neoplastic disease. Paavonen et Al. look into the efficaciousness of the vaccinum in both immature adult females ( 15-25 old ages ) with grounds of current or old HPV infection and immature adult females with no grounds of current or pervious HPV infection. Participants were from 14 different states, the HPV vaccinum was adjuvanted with AS04 and the trails were double-blinded. The control group were injected with a hepatitis A vaccinum. The article suggest HPV 16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccinum provide protection against CIN2+ lesions, which were associated with HPV 16 and HPV 18, every bit good as lesions that were associated with HPV 31, HPV 33 and HPV 45. This suggest the HPV 16/18 vaccinum besides attend crossprotection against the non-vaccine HPV types 31, 33 and 45. These five HPV types ( 16, 18, 31, 33, 45 ) are together responsible for about 82 per centum of all cervical malignant neoplastic diseases. The article conclude HPV 16/18 vaccinum has a significant overall consequence in cohort that are relevant to cosmopolitan mass inoculation and catch-up plans. But is the HPV 16/18 in world a good vaccinum for cosmopolitan mass inoculation? The article showed the vaccinum works much better in immature adult females, who did non hold any sexual contact than in adult females who have. But the article do non demo any difference in vaccinum efficaciousness between the 15 old ages old immature adult females and 25 twelvemonth old adult females. The vaccinum may be really different in efficaciousness or in safety. Furthermore, the misss who are vaccinated right now in The Netherlands are 12 to 15 old ages old. It is possible that misss at the age of 12 react different at the vaccinum than immature adult females from 15 to 25 old ages old. The vaccinum may non be efficient and/or safe at this age. A batch of inoculation plans are concentrating on inoculation of really immature misss, but in all surveies look intoing the efficaciousness and safety of the vaccinum, the participant were older than 15 old ages old. You can non presume 12 twelvemonth old miss respond the same on a vaccinum than 15 to 25 twelvemonth old immature adult females. So the vaccinum is may non every bit good as the article is proposing for a cosmopolitan mass inoculation, because it is non ( yet ) certain if it is safe.
Besides the long term safety and efficaciousness is non known. The article suggest the vaccinum is effectual and safety for at least a period of 3 old ages. But it is non known if the vaccinum protects person lifelong, or if there is a supporter necessary to remain protected after a twosome of old ages after inoculation. Furthermore, there is non any cognition about the long term effects of the vaccinum. Is it still safe 10 old ages after inoculation and is a supporter, if those are necessary, safe over the long term? Is it ethical to immunize immature misss if the long term effects of the vaccinum are unsure? It may be better to look into foremost the consequence on really immature misss ( 12 to 15 old ages ) to see if the vaccinum is efficient and safe at this age, before get downing a inoculation run.
There is still many unknown about the efficaciousness and safety of the HPV16/18 vaccinum. This article contributes in the cognition about the efficaciousness and safety of inoculation, but is non really of import if you want to immunize really immature misss ( 12 to 15 old ages old ) . Much more research is necessary to look into if the vaccinum is effectual and safe for misss under 15 old ages old, who are already vaccinated right now.
- Carrillo-Infante C, abbadessa G, bagella L, giordano A, viral infections as a cause of malignant neoplastic disease ( reappraisal ) , international diary of oncology, volume 30, issue 6, page1521-1528 ( 2007 )
- Harper DM, Franco EL, Wheeler C, Ferris DG, Jenkins D, Schuind A, Zahaf T, Innis B, Naud P, De Carvalho NS, Roteli-Martins CM, Teixeira J, Blatter MM, Korn AP, Quint W, Dubin G ; GlaxoSmithKline HPV Vaccine Study Group, Efficacy of a divalent L1 virus-like atom vaccinum in bar of infection with human papillomavirus types 16 and 18 in immature adult females: a randomized controlled test, Lancet, volume 364, issue 9447, page 1757-65 ( 2004 )
- Harper DM, Franco EL, Wheeler CM, Moscicki AB, Romanowski B, Roteli-Martins CM, Jenkins D, Schuind A, Costa Clemens SA, Dubin G ; HPV Vaccine Study group, Sustained efficaciousness up to 4.5 old ages of a divalent L1 virus-like atom vaccinum against human papillomavirus types 16 and 18: followup from a randomised control test, Lancet, volume 367, issue 9518, page 1247-55 ( 2006 )
- Kahn J A, HPV Vaccination for the Prevention of Cervical Intraepithelial Neoplasia, The New England Journal of Medicin, volume 361, issue 3, pages 271-278 ( 2009 )
- Koutsky LA, Ault KA, Wheeler CM, Brown DR, Barr E, Alvarez FB, Chiacchierini LM, Jansen KU ; Proof of Principle Study Investigators, A controlled test of a human papillomavirus type 16 vaccinum, The New England Journal of Medicine, Volume 347, issue 21, page 1645-51 ( 2002 )
- Paavonen J, Jenkins D, Bosch FX, Naud P, Salmer & A ; oacute ; n J, Wheeler CM, Chow SN, Apter DL, Kitchener HC, Castellsague X, de Carvalho NS, Skinner SR, Harper DM, Hedrick JA, Jaisamrarn U, Limson GA, Dionne M, Quint W, Spiessens B, Peeters P, Struyf F, Wieting SL, Lehtinen MO, Dubin G ; HPV PATRICIA survey group, Efficacy of a contraceptive adjuvanted bivalent L1 virus-like-particle vaccinum against infection with human papillomavirus types 16 and 18 in immature adult females: an interim analysis of a stage III double-blind, randomised controlled test, Lancet, volume369, issue 9580, page 2161-70. ( 2007 )
- Paavonen J, Naud P, Salmer & A ; oacute ; n J, Wheeler CM, Chow SN, Apter D, Kitchener H, Castellsague X, Teixeira JC, Skinner SR, Hedrick J, Jaisamrarn U, Limson G, Garland S, Szarewski A, Romanowski B, Aoki FY, Schwarz TF, Poppe WA, Bosch FX, Jenkins D, Hardt K, Zahaf T, Descamps D, Struyf F, Lehtinen M, Dubin G ; HPV PATRICIA Study Group, Greenacre M. , Efficacy of human papillomavirus ( HPV ) -16/18 AS04-adjuvanted vaccinum against cervical infection and precancer caused by oncogenic HPV types ( PATRICIA ) : concluding analysis of a double-blind, randomised survey in immature adult females, Lancet, volume 374, issue 9686, page 301-14 ( 2009 )
- Pagliusi SR, Teresa Aguado M, Efficacy and other mileposts for human papillomavirus vaccinum debut, Vaccine, volume 23, issue 5, page 569-78 ( 2004 )
- Weaver B A, Epidemiology and natural history of venereal human papillomavirus infection, The Journal of the American osteopathic association, volume106, issue 3, page 2-8 ( 2006 )